Pages

Monday, November 9, 2009

Fall of Berlin Wall Memories



Twenty years ago, my Potomac School fifth graders enjoyed an extended "freedom" recess to celebrate the fall of the Berlin Wall. By chance (in an era before cable and the internet) I recorded the NBC Nightly News live report. Next morning I showed the tape to my class. (I rolled in the huge VCR and TV to my classroom.) Then to underscore this momentous turning point in history I took my class out for an early and extended recess. We played all sorts of "freedom games." Certainly some of those now thirtysomethings are having one of those "where they were and what they did" kind of recollections today.

Today we will spend a few minutes on the subject. Homework tonight will include visiting the link posted here with a family member. Maybe we'll even have a special recess to share in the celebration.

What are your November 9, 1989 memories?

photo (copyright free) courtesy of Wikipedia entry on Berlin Wall

1 comment:

  1. Sarah told me all she learned today about the Berlin Wall. She was amazed that such a wall ever existed, and was inspired that on this day in history it came down. I was 23 years old and working in Boston in November of 1989. I recall an evening celebration with friends while watching the news coverage at a hang out on Newbury Street.

    ReplyDelete