Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Short Poems on a Single Theme

In writing we had a mini lesson about composing a series of short poems on a single theme. I shared my poems about things I observed while kayaking. Students went away from my mini lesson to make a list of subjects they might tackle in poetry. Next they chose one topic and put down a series of words or phrases that went with that subject. These were the nucleus of the series of poems. I was impressed with how quickly and eagerly they got on with the project. Later in the session we had poems being read to each other on subjects as diverse as paintball shoots; flutes; pitching; shark fishing; touring St Petersburg, Russia etc. These polished up were word processed and on display at "Poetry in the Park." Below are some of my poems that got us started. I'm slowly posting poems by each student on a separate page of this blog. The link is at the top.



Kingfisher Noticed, But Not By All


Sighted my first kingfisher.

Well, heard it first.

Flew from sailboat mast

Perched on bayside locust branch

Briefly, then

Flew back.

A blue heron nearby

Didn’t look up.


Connections


Two big powerboats

Roar past far off.

Many minutes later

Their wake in triple waves approaches

Just in time

I remember to turn into them.

Splashes over bow

Wet this notebook.


Dock Information (alt titles: Dock Signs or Reading Docks)


Caution: manatee zone

Key West boatworks

Johnson outboard motors, inc.

Pro-Lift 800-521 3118

The kingfisher

Following me

Can’t

Read


Discovery


Sighted small beach

between mangrove sprawl

I glide in

Step ashore

Claim “South Shore Park

City of St Petersburg”

Columbus didn’t get

A welcome sign or bench.


Perception


Lemon slice of a kayak

Sit in,

not on.

Yellow and black color coordinated

Paddles, life jacket

Fishing pole tube too.

Yard sale find

Paddle alone, retail

More than I spent.


Dive, Float, Walk-on Water, Fly


Orange beaked cormorant

Surfaced just off bow.

Didn’t notice him dive.

Saw his walk-on water take—off though.


What Do Pelicans Know?


Sleepy pelican

On “Idle Speed/No Wake Zone” piling

Flies off at my approach

As if I could really grab him

Or want to.


But what does a pelican

Know about how long kayak paddles

Can extend?

After I pass, he circles back, lands

And continues napping.

No comments:

Post a Comment