Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Eurovision Song Contest: Azerbaijan Wins But Still Not in Europe

I'm not a big fan of pop music but I love the Eurovision Song Contest. I've been following it ever since I lived in Belgium in the seventies. Then it was just for western European nations. The Berlin Wall hadn't fallen. The Cold War was still on. The people of my village would gather near the school to watch the finals on TV's set up for the crowd. This was also before cable and TV a common thing there. It was also before Azerbaijan, Armenia and Israel (not geographically in Europe) were participants. This year the song from Azerbaijan won best in show. Next year's contest will be held (as is the custom) in the winner's capital city Baku. See the link here to the website and links to all the songs.

This is a huge event....which I think we should try for the states. Forget American Idol...lets have an American Song Contest among our fifty nifty.

No comments:

Post a Comment