Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Life Lessons from the Rays



Here we are in our Rays' gear after presenting a program at Monday assembly on what life lessons can be learned from our local team. I'll try and post a video of our show.

Our script:

Our teacher Mr. Hughes thinks the Rays have always been good.

The first year he moved to St Pete the Rays were in the World Series.

Ringing his cowbell and wearing all sorts of Rays gear, Mr. H believed that the local team had always been the Rays and had always been winners.

AND GET THIS…he naturally assumed that everyone here had always been BIG Rays fans too and Tropicana Field was always SOLD OUT.

(Shake head) We didn’t have the heart to tell him the real story about the Rays. Maybe someday.

But not now….because he’s such a….well….FANATIC about the Rays.

And why not….it’s September, the pennant race has heated up….the first place Yankees are in town and Mr. H has his game face on.

So here come the Rays. (kids all run out and take up positions in the field)

Yeh Rays!

Win or lose we celebrate our hometown team.

Besides entertaining us with many fun, fast and fabulous games this season, the Rays teach us important life lessons.

Here are some of what the team calls their Rays Factors:

Flexibility…..dealing effectively with challenges and learning from mistakes

Accountability…means accepting responsibility for your actions, no excuses

Consistency means people can depend on what you say and do

Trust your friends and family to support you all the way

Organization means making sure your have all your tools ready to do your job

Respect yourself and others, always do your best and expect others to do the same

We can also learn from what Rays manager Joe Maddon expects from his players:

To have a strong Work Ethic means a belief in the importance of working hard to achieve your goals

To be Caring for your teammates, community and family.

Being Neighborly means to treat others the way you want to be treated.

Playing Smart which means to use your intelligence to solve problems and make quality decisions

Being Bold is to believe in yourself and don’t hold back….you can do it

Staying Fit keeps you full of energy and enthusiastic

Did you know the Rays are not just great ballplayers, but great readers.

Here’s what some of them say about reading.

Starting pitcher James Shields---

“I appreciate the time that I get to sit down with my daughter to read her favorite books. Our favorite books to read together are The Giving Tree and Green Eggs and Ham. Those books are so big in helping her develop her reading skills. And reading is the foundation for a good education.”

First baseman Carlos Pena

“My father was the one who helped me understand how important reading was at a young age. Reading always relaxes me and gives me a break from the routine of everyday competition. Reading allows me to refresh my mind.”

Left Fielder Carl Crawford:

My second grade teacher, Mrs. Johnson, was influential in getting me to read. Reading is fuel for the mind and you use your mind in baseball.

Third baseman Evan Longoria:

“I enjoy the challenge of doing the daily crossword puzzle in the newspaper during my down time in the clubhouse. Reading helps expand my vocabulary and gives me a sense of accomplishment.”

Dan Wheeler, relief pitcher:

“I’d like to encourage all kids to read because it stimulates your mind and imagination. My mom was the biggest influence in my life to get me to read as a young student. One book I read more than once growing up was Casey at the Bat.”

And who are you?

I’m the umpire and you’re OUT………of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment